TACOMA, Washington — Many celebrities are well known for contributing to charities that fight global poverty. Because of their large following and access to resources, it’s often easier for celebrities to engage others and raise money for a good cause. Rock bands are a group of celebrities fighting against world poverty. Bands play at charity concerts, donate a portion of their earnings, and even start their own nonprofit organizations. Here are six charitable efforts by rock bands that have helped fight global poverty.
6 rock bands that make a difference
- Cold game: British rock band Coldplay have donated 10% of profits from their debut album to benefit people in need. The group then became well known for their charity work. The band members were strong supporters of Aid station for migrants at sea, a humanitarian organization that rescued people who ended up in the middle of the ocean following the 2015 refugee crisis in the Middle East and Europe. Coldplay also held charity concerts and donated proceeds to help Haiti’s infrastructure after the 2010 earthquake and support the fight against HIV and Ebola in West Africa in 2016. Additionally, in 2015 , Coldplay worked with the Global Poverty Project, an initiative of Global Citizen. which urges countries to financially support girls education who cannot go to school. The group said education for all girls is important for improving women’s quality of life, independence and health. Global Citizen’s mission is to end extreme poverty by 2030. In just three years, and through actions such as the Coldplay-supported Global Poverty Project, Global Citizen has been able to donate more than $16.6 billion to those in need around the world.
- Linkin Park: Linkin Park is a successful American rock band that formed in 1996. Apart from their musical achievements, the members of the band have also set up the charity program Music for Relief in 2005. The main mission of the program is to help communities affected by natural disasters. Music for Relief’s efforts include supporting attempts to restore buildings and helping victims recover from their losses. The aid aims to give people the tools to rebuild their communities in a self-reliant and sustainable way. In the 16 years since Linkin Park’s inception of the program, Music for Relief has helped more than 35 natural disaster response cases on six different continents and supported the long-term recovery in these regions.
- Brown 5: American pop rock band Maroon 5 have been active in charity work for over a decade. One of the most notable achievements is #Maroon5Day, an annual event introduced in 2016. For five days, members of the group motivated their fans to donate money to UNICEF. These donations have helped children without health care, clean water or education in 190 countries. In order to spread the word, the band asked their followers to share their social media contributions with #Maroon5Day. Additionally, group members matched donations from the last two days of the event, doubling the money UNICEF received. As a result of #Maroon5Day, a total of $57,176 was donated to UNICEF, which was then used to enable poor children to access essential services, such as health care and education. This is a crucial factor in efforts to lift children out of extreme poverty.
- Pearl jam: Seattle-based rock band Pearl Jam has been around for over 30 years and its members have contributed a lot to charity during that time. Like many rock bands, Pearl Jam played at the Global Citizen Festival in 2015, an event to eradicate extreme poverty. That same year, during a concert in Brazil, frontman Eddie Vedder announced that the band would donate $100,000 to people whose lives had been hit by a deadly mudslide. The group also called for an end to violence against women in Colombia and advocated for their independence and self-sufficiency. It means giving women the resources to take care of themselves without having to depend on others. The band members wore T-shirts with a print that demanded end violence against women and were greeted with applause and support. Photos and videos captured the moment, and Latin American media quickly delivered the strong message. Finally, in 2017, Pearl Jam donated $75,000 to give food and support to Africans who were suffering from starvation. In doing so, the group helped save an estimated 20 million people who were at risk of starving to death without help.
- Audioslave: The members of Audioslave further proved the importance of the charitable efforts of rock bands. The band members were eager to mobilize their fans to participate in activism and charity until frontman Chris Cornell died in 2017. Cornell was especially dedicated to supporting good causes. For example, he was a supporter of Global Angels, a program that promotes equity for people in less advantaged regions of the world and helps them achieve self-sufficiency by improving health care and education. Additionally, Cornell and his wife established the Chris and Vicky Cornell Foundation five years before his death. The non-profit’s mission was to raise awareness and help homeless, poor and abused children around the world. The Chris and Vicky Cornell Foundation has also raised funds to help other nonprofit organizations achieve charitable work. The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is an example. The IRC works with and for people who have lost their jobs, their homes or worse due to a humanitarian crisis. The IRC provides the resources and assistance needed to recover from these disasters. In 2016 alone, the IRC was able to reach approximately 26 million people in need. Cornell was a strong supporter of the program and even donates all profits made from his clip “The Promise” for IRC.
- Fall out Boy: Chicago-based rock band Fall Out Boy has contributed financially to the psychological and emotional relief of children in northern Uganda and supported the organization Invisible Children. Bassist Pete Wentz was even more socially active than the rest of his band members. In 2010, he was announced as the Spokesperson for the UNICEF Tap Project, a program to prevent child deaths from unsafe drinking water. The project has saved many lives since its inception. As spokesperson for the project, Wentz mobilized fans and activists to donate as little as a dollar to the UNCEF project. This participation has prevented the deaths of millions of children around the world.
These six groups demonstrate that being a celebrity means more than performing on stage or recording music for entertainment. Instead, Coldplay, Linkin Park and the others are using their public influence and financial advantage to help those in need. They also raise awareness when they mobilize their fans to do the same. The charitable work of these rock bands has contributed significantly to improving the lives of vulnerable groups. Moreover, they simultaneously set a good example for their fans and other musicians.
– Bianca Adelman